This old map of Sing Sing (Ossining), New York was first published in 1884 by Lucien R. Burleigh, a prominent 19th century cartographer who spent much of his life traveling America creating detailed bird’s eye views of towns.
“Sing Sing” was derived from the name of a Native American tribe, “Sinck Sinck” (or “Sint Sinck”), from whom the land was purchased in 1685. The area is now known as Ossining, but Sing Sing maximum-security prison carries on the name.
The map shows a bird’s eye view of the Sing Sing area as it looked toward the end of the 19th century. Landmarks on the map include Ossining Institute, Mt. Pleasant Military Academy, Olive Opera House, Phoenix Hotel, Sing Sing State Prison, and Turner’s Cotton Gin Saw Manufactory.
This old map of Sing Sing, NY has been lovingly restored by the team at KNOWOL. Reproductions of the restored map are available on museum quality, archival paper to ensure that this piece of Ossining history can be passed on to the next generation. Click here to get a copy of the map.