This old map of Essex, Connecticut was published in 1881 by Oakley Hoops Bailey, one of the most prolific map makers of the 19th century. O.H. Bailey spent a majority of his life publishing beautiful hand drawn maps of American towns.
The map shows a bird’s eye view of Essex, CT as it looked at the end of the 19th century. Notable landmarks on the map include Hills Academy, John Halliday’s Drug & Medicine, J.R. Post Meat Market, Saybrook Savings Bank, Griswold House, Pratt Blacksmiths, F.G. Dickinson Store and Masonic Hall.
This map of Essex has been lovingly restored by the team at KNOWOL. Reproductions of the restored map are available on museum quality, archival paper to ensure that this piece of Essex history can be passed on to the next generation. Click here to get a copy of the map.